Stained-glass windows in the Saint-Martin church in Murlin14 June 2019
The support of the Charlois Group for the development of Murlin is not new. The altar of the Saint-Martin church, carved from a hundrer-year-old oak of the Bertranges forest, was for example offered to the municipality, in the late 1950s, by Eugène Charlois, founder of the Maison Charlois (1928).
Wishing to perpetuate its philanthropy for the municipality, the foundation Charlois pour l’Art et la Forêt co-financed the restoration project of the stained-glass windows in the Saint-Martin church. This project has been realized by Timothée Barbeyrac, young stained-glass maker based in Colméry (Nièvre).
To honour the natural environment of Murlin and its main activities (stave mill, cooperage and agriculture), the stained-glass windows iconpgraphy focus on oak, vine, cereal and barrels. Thus, for example, the central stained-glass window represents the Oak of Mamre where, according to Genesis, God appears to Abraham.