Retour en haut de la page
< Back to news
Culture

Map of the Saulois forest (1789)

23 May 2019

Saulois forest once depended on the Châtellenie of Montceaux-le-Comte part of the Duchy of Nevers since the 17th century. This former ducal forest, located on the Marigny-sur-Yonne municipality, is now divided between private and public ownership.

Saulois forest once depended on the Châtellenie of Montceaux-le-Comte part of the Duchy of Nevers since the 17th century. This former ducal forest, located on the Marigny-sur-Yonne municipality, is now divided between private and public ownership.

Cuts 16 and 17 of the former Saulois forest now correspond to the present Sougy-la-Briche sectional forest while cuts 6, 8, 10 and part of 13 correspond to the Marigny-sur-Yonne communal forest, that cuts 9, 11, 12, 14 and 15 have been cleared during the second half of the 20th century and that cuts 1 to 5 plus 7 belong to private owners. Former ducal Saulois forest lost around a hundred hectares in comparison with its original volume of 306 hectares.

The Atlas indicates that the Saulois forest is “jointly owned by the Duchy and the Chapter of Autun. Saulois forest and Corne d’Ardan forest form a single forest containing 736 arpents 62 perches [around 375 hectares]. On the basis of the consent of the Chapter, forest will be divided in 21 cuts whose exploitation started in 1775”. Woods from this forest were intended to Paris consumption and were sold in Clamecy.

Monthly Archive