Retour en haut de la page
< Back to news
Culture

Map of the Mont-le-Duc forest extracted from the Atlas des Bois dépendans des duchés de Nivernois et Donziois (1789)

29 November 2018

Mont-le-Duc forest once depended on the Châtellenie of Clamecy, belonging to the Counts, then to the Dukes, of Nevers since the XIe century.

Mont-le-Duc forest once depended on the Châtellenie of Clamecy, belonging to the Counts, then to the Dukes, of Nevers since the XIe century. This former ducal forest is located on the Clamecy municipality near the boundary of the department of Yonne. It is now a private forest.

The atlas indicates that the Mont-le-Duc forest, containing 648 arpents et 48 perches (approximately 330 hectares), was divided in 10 cuts and grouped to the Druye wood, to the “Usages” of Ouagne and Cuncy and to the Surgy forest “to form a single 22 cuts rotation, started in 1789”. Wood logged in those forests were intended for Paris consumption as firewood. It was assembled into timber rafts in Clamecy and carried out to Paris on the Yonne and Seine rivers.

Monthly Archive
All tags