Map of the Donzy forest extracted from the Atlas des bois dépendans des duchés de Nivernois et Donziois (1789)23 August 2018
Donzy forest once depended on the Chatellenie of Donzy and on the eponymous Barony unified to the county of Nevers in 1199 as a result of the marriage of Hervé IV of Donzy with Mahaut of Courtenay, heiress of the county of Nevers.
Donzy forest once depended on the Chatellenie of Donzy and on the eponymous Barony unified to the county of Nevers in 1199 as a result of the marriage of Hervé IV of Donzy with Mahaut of Courtenay, heiress of the county of Nevers. Forest is located on Donzy and Sainte-Colombe-des-Bois municipalities and is now divided in two parts, from north to south, by the road D2.
The eastern part of this former ducal forest (approximately 533 hectares) corresponds to the current communal forest of Fauverney (Côte d’Or). The Fauverney municipality receives the forest in legacy in the 1920’s by the will of Henri Muteau. The forest, bought after the Revolution by one of the donor’s ancestor, was certainly used to supply with charcoal the furnace the Muteau’s family established in Fauverney from the year 1827.
The western part, named “Bois de l’Éminence”, is now a 500-hectares enclosed private hunting domain.
The atlas indicates that the Donzy forest, containing 2016 arpents and 48 perches (approximately 1030 hectares), was divided in 17 cuts, from the year 1799 to the year 1815, intended to the forges and furnaces of the Eminence, Bailly (Donzy) and Champdoux (Sainte-Colombe-des-Bois). It also specifies: “We will follow until 1798 the cuts order established by the forges and furnaces lease agreement, after which we will start the second rotation by the Number 1 and the following ones continuously.”