Retour en haut de la page
< Back to news
Culture

Map of the Charnouveau forest extracted from the Atlas des bois dépendans des duchés de Nivernois et Donziois (1789)

13 September 2018

Charnouveau forest once depended on the Chatellenie of Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis belonging to the Dukes of Nevers since the 16th century. This private forest is located on Champlemy and Saint-Bonnot municipalities.

Charnouveau forest once depended on the Chatellenie of Châteauneuf-Val-de-Bargis belonging to the Dukes of Nevers since the 16th century. This private forest is located on Champlemy and Saint-Bonnot municipalities.

Charnouveau forest was sold in april 1801 by Adélaïde-Diane-Hortense Mancini-Mazarini, daughter of the Duke of Nivernais, to Claude-Xavier Carvillon des Tillères, a rich industrialist who made a fortune after French revolution by speculating on the clergy’s and aristocracy’s goods. After the death of Carvillon des Tillières, his only child, Aimée, married in 1817 Rainulphe d’Osmond who ordered the construction of the castle de la Vénerie, one of the top hunting with hounds locations, in the 1860’s. A health center has been built in the former ducal forest during the 1960’s and is still there today. The biggest part of the forest is now a private hunting domain.

The atlas indicates that the Charnouveau forest, containing 1522 arpents and 97 perches (approximately 776 hectares), was divided in 22 cuts, from the year 1794 to the year 1816. For the first rotation, the atlas specifies that “the rotation will start in 1796 with number 3” due to the young age of the trees in the first two cuts.

Monthly Archive